Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Stay Tuned...

This blog began as a result of the church painting project. I hope to be able to post some interesting things related to the Athol Seventh-day Adventist Church in the future. So keep checking from time to time. I will try to update it each month at least.

One thing that occurred this week was the funeral of a young girl from Orange, Massachusetts. This precious young child drowned in Millers River the day after July 4th. It is such a tragedy...

Devon Wright was a special little girl of a mere 11 years. I was asked to play guitar and accompany a group of family friends and relatives for a song at the end of the funeral. The name of the song is "Angel" by Sarah Mclaughlin. It was a privilege to be able to play this song for Devon's mother. I pray that during the few moments that we played, she might have experienced the peace of God amidst this storm of life.

As I played, I looked into her eyes and could see that she was searching for meaning and peace through the music. It was the only time I saw her raise her head.

Later, at the cemetery, I was able to speak with Devon's uncle, who happens to be a church friend of mine. As I left, I thanked God for the doctrine of the state of the dead. It is something that many, even within Christianity, misunderstand.

If you would like to understand more about the state of the dead, read this:

The wages of sin is death. But God, who alone is immortal, will grant eternal life to His redeemed. Until that day death is an unconscious state for all people. When Christ, who is our life, appears, the resurrected righteous and the living righteous will be glorified and caught up to meet their Lord. The second resurrection, the resurrection of the unrighteous, will take place a thousand years later. (Rom. 6:23; 1 Tim. 6:15, 16; Eccl. 9:5, 6; Ps. 146:3, 4; John 11:11-14; Col. 3:4; 1 Cor. 15:51-54; 1 Thess. 4:13-17; John 5:28, 29; Rev. 20:1-10.)


1 comment:

  1. So glad you got to play for Devon's funeral. I am sure the family was blessed by the gift of music the Lord has bestowed upon you. I am also happy you were there and could talk to her relatives; such a human tragedy.

    ReplyDelete